Dairy Industries (Ja) Ltd. started its manufacturing operations in 1964 and commenced cheese processing in February 1968 .The company is the only manufacturing entity in Jamaica and the wider Caribbean that produces processed cheese in a can with Tastee cheese being our flagship brand. Tastee cheese became the preferred cheese in Jamaica due to its distinct savory flavour and robust packaging. It allows Jamaicans across the world to taste a slice of the true Jamaican culture.
The company is governed under a joint venture agreement between GraceKennedy & Company Ltd and Fonterra Co-operative Group Ltd.
The partnership began in1996 and became the first joint venture agreement for Fonterra (formerly the New Zealand Dairy Board) outside of New Zealand.
In 1995 DIJL became the first company in the Caribbean to be certified to ISO 9001 standard. In 2007, we were granted Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) certification from Guelph Food Technology Centre in recognition of our food safety programme. Most recently, DIJL was certified to FSSC 22000:2017.
The company produces a wide variety of dairy products such as:
- Processed Canned Cheese under the Tastee, Crest and Cheder brands
- Processed Cheese in vacuumed pack and spreads under the Tastee brand
- Yogurts under the “This Is Really Great” brand with a diversified product line including:
- Original, Lactose Free, Fibre, Good 2 Grow and a Greek-style Yogurt
- Powdered Milks under the Anchor, Country Gold and Good 2 Grow brands
The company has established partnerships with local and international bakeries through innovative product solutions geared to meet their respective consumer needs.